The new ad blocker update to iOS9 is likely to please device users, but it won’t be pleasant for everyone…
Many companies that depend on online advertising are set to lose out on revenue as a ‘healthy chuck’ of iPhone users begin to block web advertisements!
What is an Ad Blocker?
The term ‘ad blocker’ covers a variety of technologies used to prevent adverts appearing on internet-connected devices. They are already widely used on PCs, where the most common technique is to install a browser plug-in, but are relatively rare on smartphones and tablets… until now.
Apple devices can already run specialised third-party ad-blocking browsers or be made to stop ads appearing by altering their network settings, but the point is that up until now, only a small percentage of people were doing it.
Now with Apples decision to allow adverts to be blocked, stopping adverts on mobile devices could become more mainstream.
Apple’s iOS 9 operating system will allow content blocking extensions to be added to Safari too. These browser add-ons can be set to block certain cookies, images, pop-ups and other content from being downloaded.
Should those who rely on ads to make money worry?
Of course! There have already been loud complaints about the spread of ad-blockers on PCs. Their fear is that the practice could now become widespread on mobiles.
The Ad-Blocking Effect – Websites and Businesses Paying For adWords and Remarketing
The ads that you see on websites are not just annoying – they are the way many websites and online services make the money necessary to keep going.
Google is just one of the major providers of on-site advertisements, and this advertising service is one way that Google makes money.
So software that is encouraging ad-blocking (preventing visitors from seeing or clicking on ads in the first place) will hit the giant Google as there is no way they can make money from it!
Additionally, these blockers may have a much larger impact on the websites Google services with ads:
- Loss of income
- Can result in people losing their jobs
- May result in less content on any given site
- Can affect the quality of content
- Create a real advertising death spin for sites
But, It’s Good News For Mobile Device Users!
Athough the ad blockers may not be favourable for businesses, for people who use ad-blocking on their devices, web pages will appear cleaner with less distracting and ‘irrelevant’ content.
And, they will also load more quickly as a result, putting less strain on mobile data allowances and battery life (iPhones will last longer between charges).
More on the latest update…
iOS 9 brings you full enhancements and refinements on every level.
Siri is smarter than ever with proactive suggestions that keep you on track.
Battery life has been improved along with security, and multitasking on iPad hits an all-new high with Slide Over Split View and Picture in Picture!
iOS9 features summary:
- News – iOS 9 adds a new app to your Home Screen which puts all of the stories you’re interested in, all in one place… evidently, it’s called “News”.
- Notes – The Notes app is great if you want an easy way to make a checklist of to-dos as you can add bullets with a tap to create checklists and check off items as you go.
- Additionally, it lets you add a photo by taking one straight from the app, or tapping to add an existing photo or video to a note. The notes app also lets you add a map, web link or even draw a sketch with your finger – with a selection of drawing tools and a choice of different brush styles and colors.
- Maps – Now, you will be able to use public transportation with Maps as your guide. It now features transit view in select cities around the world, bringing you public transit information with route and directions.
- And, it shows lines and stations for subways, buses, trains and ferries right on the map.
- Wallet – You can use Apple Pay to easily and securely make purchases with your credit cards. You can even access Wallet by double clicking the Home Button when your iPhone is locked!
- iCloud drive – Like being organized? The new iCloud Drive app that is built into iOS 9 allows you to access any file you save to iCloud from just one place; your home screen.
- You can now also search easily within the app and find the file/s that you are looking for.
- Siri – Siri can search a wider range of topics for a wider range of answers. It understands what you say more accurately and delivers your results faster.
- Battery life – Across the entire operating system, apps and key technologies have been made more efficient to trim battery usage wherever possible, meaning that you get more battery life.
- Updates – iOS 9 does even more to efficiently stream new updates to your device without having to first download and unpack them, meaning that you do not need as much free space to update new apps.
- Security – Keeping your devices and Apple ID secure is essential to protecting your personal information. iOS 9 advances security by strengthening the passcode that protects your devices and making it harder for others to get unauthorized access to your Apple ID account.
The abundance of new enhancements will help you to achieve so much more on devices that have been updated to the new iOS. The question is, will you be updating?